Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sometimes it's hard for me to always be ladylike especially as I am always having to be the breadwinner, the head of the household, the homemaker, the go-getter and the businesswoman and other people just step on board and seem to enjoy the ride. Not worrying what is happening in their life because they somehow are delusional enough to feel I will always be there to rescue them or "fix" things.

9 times out of 10 I will always be there to help a close friend (unless the situation is utterly ridiculous) but things have been happening recently that have made me question whether I should in fact help the people who ask for my help ... or whether I should refuse and in fact help them to take some responsibility for a change.

Hell - no one supports my lifestyle but me ... and when I make a mistake, I pay for it. One way or another I HAVE TO FIX THINGS, not rely on some random act to do it for me. (Although there have been a couple of occassions when someone has reached out and helped don't get me wrong). But 9 times out of 10, I'm there taking control of the issue and making sure things get put right ...

I'm tired of being "the rescuer" ... Oprah (yes occassionally I do pay her some mind) once wrote that if you believe you will never be paid back it is not your job or duty to lend. I.E ... look at that person asking you for help or asking you to pay a bill and if you feel they are going to simply brush it under the carpet or dodge you for the next 6 months avoiding paying back ... then simply say NO.

So, as harsh as it sounds I've become pretty frustrated recently. It seems once you help someone once, they think you are now an ongoing stream of help, or money. They think it is acceptable to reach out and ask ask ask and take take take. I'd love to know if the people who I have helped out have ever written a note in their diary or planner or somewhere of each incident so when times change for them they can in fact pay me back ... somehow I strongly doubt it.

So ... I am closing this particular lending book and simply learning to say NO.

x Ms. E ..... NOT ... The Bank of America

Who ... Me, myself and I
When ... 7.55am ... the sun is filling my lounge and the dogs are all still asleep
Wearing ... not too much I just woke up

No comments: